Friday, December 09, 2011

Snow Globes

A little while I go I stumbled across these "Snow globes" in Anthropologie. I actually burst out loud laughing when I saw they were $30! Then, I gave myself a challenge! I went to Dollarama, stocked up and raided the cupboard for mason jars. Here's a little tutorial so you can make your own too for about $1.00 each!
First gather your stuff:You will some want some glitter glue and white paint too.

Then cut out 3 circles the size of the INSIDE (the white part) of your lid. Layer them on top of each other with pop-dots. Cover the top layer with white paint, let dry and add some glitter glue.


Hot glue your items to your cardboard base when dry. I snipped off the loop of the mini-star ornament and hot glued it to the top of tree. Make sure you check the size of your jar when you do this, or you'll get a wee bit frustrated when it doesn't fit!
Clean your glass super well inside. Add a small amount of glitter and plastic snow. You really only need a TINY amount, otherwise, all you decorations will get covered up.


Run a bead of Glossy Accents around the orange part of the lid liner (if you want to centre your tree in your jar. I used an embossed jelly jar with a window so I didn't want to have my ornaments and fence facing backwards). If your using a plain mason jar you can skip this step. Flip upside down and let dry. Clean the outside with windex if necessary.
Add the sealing ring, shake and enjoy!


Here's another a made with a bigger, plain mason jar.


If you make some of these link them up, I'd love to see them. Thanks for letting me share with you!

1 comment:

Kerr's about reading said...

Yours are prettier.